New Tax Season Scams
According to the Federal Reserve, the most recent scam scenario is described below.
- Criminal steals your personal information from your tax professional, including bank account information.
- The criminal creates a fake tax return and refund, which they deposit to your account.
- Fraudster contacts you, the taxpayer, posing as an employee of a debt collection agency working for the IRS. They tell you this refund was made in error and tell you how to return the refund, but the refund actually ends up going to the criminal.
- IRS guidance to taxpayers who are victims is to contact the bank/financial institution where the direct deposit was received and have the bank return the refund to the IRS. The IRS also asks the taxpayers to call the IRS agency toll-free at (800) 829-1040 (individual) or (800) 829-4933 (business) to explain why the direct deposit is being returned.
Scams are initiated through email, regular mail, and the telephone and as time goes by, the scams become harder to detect. Please protect yourself with knowledge and awareness.
The following SCAM ALERT TIPS are from the IRS.
- The IRS doesn't initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text messages or social media, according to IRS.gov.
- Beware of fake calls to return money to a collection agency.
- Personal bank account information is being stolen from tax professionals. The criminals can then file a fraudulent tax return, use the taxpayer's bank account, and then claim the refund for themselves.
- Criminals are calling taxpayers with an IRS phone ID and demanding money be paid through a wire transfer. Threats of arrest, suspension of driver's license and more seem real enough at the moment.
The IRS is urging all taxpayers to use caution before paying any unexpected tax bill. If a caller uses any of the tactics listed below, it is probably someone trying to steal your money because the IRS will not:
- Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method. Usually, the IRS will first mail you a bill if you owe taxes.
- Threaten to arrest a taxpayer.
- Ask for credit card information over the phone.
More tax scam information and ways to spot criminals can be found at: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-scams-consumer-alerts
Directions from the IRS on how to return an erroneous refund check: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/
Toys for Tots
Through December 14, 2017
We are proud to be an Official Drop-off Location for the Toys for Tots Foundation. From now until December 14th we invite you to join in our efforts by bringing in an unwrapped toy or two to our Evergreen Park, Oak Brook, or Hinsdale location. Your generosity will help less fortunate children in our communities experience the joy of the Holiday Season.
Thank you in advance for any and all donation efforts!
American Banker Recognizes Evergreen Bank Group
"Evergreen Bank is named one of the 'Best Banks to Work For' by American Banker!" The program, which was initiated in 2013 to identify, recognize and honor the best banks to work for in the nation, is a project of American Banker and Best Companies Group. In all, 60 banks achieved "Best Bank" status in this fourth year for the program.
To be considered for participation, banks had to fulfill the following eligibility requirements:
- Have at least 50 employees working in the US;
- Be a Commercial Bank, Thrift, Mutual Association, Mutual Savings Bank, Savings and Loan Association or a Savings Bank.
Determining the 'Best Banks to Work For' involved a two-step process. The first step consisted of evaluating each participating bank's workplace policies, practices, and demographics. This part of the process was worth approximately 25% of the total evaluation. The second part consisted of employee surveys aimed at assessing the experiences and attitudes of individual employees with respect to their workplace. This part of the process was worth approximately 75% of the total evaluation. The combined scores determined the top banks and the final ranking. Best Companies Group managed the overall registration and survey process and also analyzed the data and used their expertise to determine the final ranking.
Evergreen Recognized as A 5-Star Rated Bank
We are proud to announce that Evergreen has once again been recognized as a 5-Star Rated Bank, the highest rating possible, by BauerFinancial.
Bauer, one of the nation's leading bank rating and research firms, analyzes and reports on the financial condition of the banking industry. Following a thorough analysis of financial data, a star-rating is then assigned to an institution based on a scale of zero to five. A 5-Star rating indicates that an institution excels in areas of capital, asset quality and profitability.
Evergreen Park Branch Annual School Supply Drive
Throughout August, our Evergreen Park branch is hosting a school supply drive for the students of District 124. If you would like to donate any supplies to help a student in need be ready and prepared for their school year, please bring any or all of the following items into our Evergreen Park lobby. We will be collecting items through August 31st.
Pencils, Crayons, Markers, Paper, Folders, Notebooks, Pens, Glue, and Erasers
Thank you for your help!
We are proud to announce that we will be one of the sponsors for the Hinsdale Chamber of Commerce's Uniquely Thursdays summer concert series!
Uniquely Thursdays is a set of 10 concerts featuring live bands every Thursday night from June 15th and running through August 17th. All concerts will be held in Burlington Park, Hinsdale, and will run from 6pm to 9pm, weather permitting.
This is Evergreen's first year participating and we are excited to go all out! Be sure to stop by our tent during any of the concerts to enter our gift card raffle, grab our weekly Evergreen branded giveaway, and learn more about our banking products, services and amenities. We'll also have a 2-foot-tall spinning prize wheel for the kids - where everyone is a winner!
Recycling Day is Back
Join us August 19th, from 10am - 1pm, at our Oak Brook location for our Recycling & Paper Shredding Event! This is a great opportunity to safely dispose of your used electronic items. More information to come!
Celebrating 10 Years
We are proud to report that on March 19th, Evergreen Bank Group and FreedomRoad Financial, our National Powersports Lender, celebrated the 10 Year Anniversary mark! We remain financially strong and would like to take this opportunity to thank our customers for their continued loyalty. As always, we are dedicated to meeting the diverse financial needs of individuals, businesses, and non-profit organizations in the marketplace we serve. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you for many years to come.
We are pleased to announce that we will be one of the sponsors for the 5th Annual "March4Meg" 5k run/walk at Klein Park at 97th and Homan in Evergreen Park. Please join us Saturday, March 25th to help March4Meg's mission to fight melanoma by increasing awareness, offering educational programs, and raising funds to help Advocate Christ Medical Center find solutions.